Saturday, April 23, 2011

Records for Plants

Many out there have been making things out of records for a long time...Making bowls if just about the easiest thing you can do with a record...Pop it in the over over a tall object such as a mug or metal bowl and presto after a couple of minutes a bowl is made from the record...I never had the time to try it until the other day when I made the Uterus by accident...Then I made another, and stopped to think...

Still not having time to do more I waited...The other day I had the time and began another experiment...Bowl in oven, heat set and wait...Then take out and shape as symmetrical as possible because if I don't it'll drive me crazy...Sure I can make bowls galore, but I want to do something new...After a couple of days of brewing ideas and looking at my plants I realized they would look awesome in a record...It has a built in drainage hole and all it needs is a plant in it...So I made this little guy and covered in daisies just for fun...

The hangers are made from this plastic mesh thing I've had lying around for who knows how long...But it works and looks kinda cool...I now have many ideas for hanging plants and will make more of these and find ways to configure them...Possibly I will make a whole hanging plant series ranging from one to at most four bowls...My only frustration is the fact that there is zero space in my kitchen so that when I take out the bowl there is no counter space to put it on and mold it...I have to do it all on hand in the air and fast... I have a rather small kitchen compared to my apartment...but I have high hopes that in the near future there is a kitchen somewhere where I can do a cartwheel in...Here is what it looks like hanging and with a plant in it...



No comments:

Post a Comment